From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:56:00 -0400
In an observation hive I watched a new, just mated supercession queen
over 3 days  for several hours at a time.  The old queen was still
present, and they stayed on opposite sides of the comb.  During that
time she went from a typical virgin behavior, self feeding and with no
retinue, to a laying queen with full retinue, tho still avoiding the old
laying queen. Before she was laying in cells, but when she was beginning
to attract a retinue, I witnessed several eggs "leaking" from her
abdomen into the jaws of a worker.  I was never sure, but at the time I
thought the workers ate the eggs.

Next time I'm doing a week-end festival maybe I'll get lucky on egg
moving.  I'm very myopic, so if I get close enough to the glass I can
watch minute detail.  I rarely use a veil as I prefer to slide my
glasses down and hold frames a few inches from my nose when I check for
eggs in the field; the newbees find it very amusing but it does give
them more courage.

Carolyn in SC....blackberry's out, the flow is ON, such as it is in
these parts...