From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2009 10:46:20 -0600
> Tucson lab is currently testing HFCS for mercury.

Thanks! I figured as much after the story on CNN.

Did the lab tell you before the CCN report or after the CNN report they had
found Mercury in HFCS?

 I used HFCS from the start
and never had any issues.
I stored for periods in drums. Bought and was given off spec and never had
issues. Was never very carefully about heating.

Then we started seeing problems when feeding HFCS. ( 2003-2006) After
speaking with the Weslaco lab we switched to sucrose and the bees improved
right away. I have never even wanted to go back although would save money on
feed costs.

When we approached the suppliers about our problems they recommended
checking temps when tankers arrived and suggested our handling was the
problem. Sound familiar? They said they would look into the issue and get
back with us. Our phone never rang.

The time we were having the most issues was when the FDA ( quietly) told the
HFCS industry to get the mercury out of its product.  According to the CNN
report mercury is still being found. My guess is not at the levels back in
2005.

Mercury is a serious issue for humans but I do not know of any research on
the effects of Mercury on Honeybees.

Maybe the FDA will recommend only ingesting a quart of food with Mercury
laced HFCS a week as a solution to the problem. A better solution would be
to pull HFCS and replace with honey.

bob