From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:22:56 -0600
And the third: the wisdom of stimulating the colonies at inappropriate
times. Otis and Mattila suggested that pollen supplements in the fall could
be deleterious.

Interesting you say that.  Just spent the week at the CA state meeting,  and
several days visiting with customers who are large scale beeks.   One take
away I had this year,  s that with all or what ifs and when's,  Most of us
are rank amatures'.  The large scale beeks know when and how much to a level
we don't even ponder.  They have feed schedules and mite treatments and
splits down to a science.    While  most of us debate "when and how much"
the pros don't have the same concerns at all.  Part of that is north vs
south in climates, but the majority is just experience.    It was a
interesting experience that leaves me  realizing the Chasm between hobbyist
and pros is bigger than I thought.   While a lot of us are wonder to feed or
not,  the pros can tell you exactly how much and what day to start or stop
based on what the use of the hive is intended to be.

Add to that the fact that  at least 90% of that feed is going to pros and
finding that food will be profitable.

Charles