From:
Bruce Bowen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1992 15:43:51 PDT
   I've read from a number of sources that hives infected with
American Foulbrood need to have their colonies and frames destroyed
and the hive bodies scorched (one can't scorch comb of course since it
melts.)  I am wondering about the possibility of a much less destructive
solution for the hardware.  I've been reading about gamma irradiation
in regards to food processing and am wondering whether the same
technique could be used to nondestructively sterilize an infected
hive.  The bees would have to be replaced of course but the idea seems
plausible.   Perhaps "Gamma Guys on Wheels" could truck down to afflicted
apiaries and perform sterilization services for a fee.

-Bruce