From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 18:37:53 -0500
PO Gustafsson wrote:
>This whole discussion looks a bit off topic to me. What is really
>killing the bees? Mites? Nope, it's virus. Mainly DWV.
>Mites are just the vector, transporters of virus between bees. I >think
we should look for how bees can handle the virus infection >instead.

Not quite, according to Penn State researchers.
(I referenced in my reply some material I have saved):

Researchers there believe that there is a combination of factors
triggering colony deaths which includes suppression of the bee immune
system by the mites.  They have also found that simply having deformed
wing virus does not cause bees to emerge from the pupa state with deformed
wings, nor is the presence of the viruses sufficient to cause colony
deaths.  So a breeder might conclude that trying to breed DWV resistant
bees would be a waste of time.

They have found that a combination of mite infestation and deformed wing
virus will cause deformed wings in about a 25% of the emerging bees. This
however, according to researchers is still  not sufficient to cause colony
collapse.   The focus of the research is centered on the chemical glucose
oxidase or ‘GOX’  that is put into the honey by worker bees and sterilizes
the honey and the colonies food.  They have found that if bees have mites,
their production of GOX decreases.   They suspect as mites build up, not
as much GOX will be found in the honey and the honey has more bacteria.
They go on to say it is likely that the combination of 1) increased mite
infestation, 2) virus infection and 3) bacteria that is the cause of the
two-week death collapse of hives.  A breeder could conclude from this ‘if
you solve the mite problem, this increases nutritional foraging and GOX
production, and you will solve the DWV problem‘.

But is there anyone that can honestly
>say they can breed for higher honey production without loosing the
>bees ability to handle mite infection?

Presently doing just that!  I have managed thru intense selection to get
98% brood viability and still the colonies have a natural ability to keep
varroa populations at very small numbers.  This season fall I managed a
harvest in spite of reports of a relatively bad fall flow from other
nearby beekeepers.

Joe Waggle
Ecologicalbeekeeping.com
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'