From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2017 07:18:41 -0400
In the past it has been suggested that anyone that knows bee biology should be able to make nucs and also produce a honey crop. First I would suggest this has more to do with population dynamics, geography and nectar flow than anything else.  Very early on in my commercial days of beekeeping my employer explained in very clear terms the difference between honey flows in the south and honey flows that one might expect in some places in the Northern US and Canada.  As a math model we might describe honey flows in the south as punctuated and those in some places in the North as continuous.  This characteristic of the nectar flow will have a bearing on whether you can or cannot produce nucs and a honey crop at the same time.  I suspect you can not accomplish this dual task in fewer places than you can.

I would challenge anyone to come here and make nucs and expect to rear a honey crop in the same season.  Any number of local novice beekeeper quite often read 'expert' advice from folks that live far far away and these are all good candidates for selling nucs over multiple seasons.  IMHO all beekeeping is local and believing what works in your local area will work equally well everywhere else suggest to me that someone's understanding of beekeeping is somewhat limited and all question in regards to bees is not strictly thinking just about bee biology.

Gene a simple beekeeper in Central Texas