Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2015 13:15:24 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)

Sorry, but this is unfair. If I buy a new car every couple of years instead of milking one for ten years, does that make me a poor judge of cars? (I am in the second category, by the way). 

Actually Pete,  As an ASAE mechanic I would say absolutely yes.  You’re a judgeing shiny and new!

When it comes down to a long haul of which car (or queen) will do the job most efficiently with less risk  looking at the outside means nothing!  Personally I like high milers myself.  Proven reliability.  

It may have been in reality a bit unfair they way I stated it,  but my point was simple. What matters is what the queen does in that box for the next 90 days,  nothing more or less.  A shiny new queen poorly mated and handled will be worse than an old queen stored at the right temp any day.  We as beekeepers are clueless at picking good from bad queens at a glance,  and for the most part ageing one.  Obviously for some of us we can spot and worn queen(with the glases on)  but a 6 week from a 6 month is pretty hard to discern.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2