From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:48:09 -0500
As I suspected, my comments have elicited the expected defenses of the 'old
wives tales' I listed.  As Jim Fischer so wisely pointed out, all of these
items (except perhaps, one) are not in any way harmful to bees.  Surely, a
good thing.

However, some do involve the requirement  to purchase additional equipment.
Indeed, the bee supply catalogs are full of such 'superfluous equipment.  I
fault the dealers for this, and do not find the argument 'but we get
requests all the time' as sufficient reason to sell items that have little
or no value.  Indeed, in many instances the dealers are (no longer)
beekeepers or do not use the equipment in question on their own hives!  (I
think it is good advice to find a dealer who runs more than a few
hives...and use the equipment that he/she does!)  That said, some dealers
who are not beekeepers go out of their way to be certain that they sell
beekeepers equipment that is proven to work well...but how does a
beginner/hobbyist identify those dealers?)

Yes, Jim, I think you guessed right.  Your styrofoam on top of the hive
prevented the inner cover from getting cold enough to cause condensation.
The added styrofoam, IMHO, is a good idea.  The lack of upper ventilation
(only a 1/2" space is sufficient) is dangerous.

Within the not too distant past the American Bee Journal published research
papers where the authors documented controlled studies demonstrating that
Slatted Racks and bottom supering did not increase honey production....under
the conditions prevailing.  ABJ does not have a cumulative index, so I do
not have the means to give further references.

However, one of the absolutely best ways of drawing foundation in supers is
to bottom super (during a flow) under a 1/2 full super of drawn comb, and
above a brood nest.

And remember...all beekeeping is local, so the best way to keep bees is to
get out there and do it!

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturers of Ross Rounds Comb