From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:57:08 -0400
[log in to unmask] wr
> For the benefits of screened bottoms see
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~jtemp/bodem.html
> for a study of Helmut Horn on the subject.

Exceptionally good read. One thing that stands out is reduced brood
rearing that occurs with open bottoms over winter. Like George said, it
is not cold that kills. Helmut shows how reduced brood rearing leads to
more bees surviving the winter but a slower spring buildup. However, I
did not notice any difference overall with my bees production this year,
so there may be benefits during warm weather that offset slow spring
buildup.

There are many things in the article which seem counterintuitive (but
make sense after you see what actually happened and why), but that seem
the norm with bees.

As usual, Seppo, you have great sources of information.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME