Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:40:06 -0400
>> As for Fall pollen feeding...

>What I was referring to was work by Guelph scientists that suggest
>that the cessation of the pollen flow is crucial for the bees' switch
>into winter mode, and PERHAPS it should not be extended beyond
>the normal season.

Years ago, when we were first learning about supplements and before
we approached Guelph or Gordie to check the old literature and verify
that the old formulas were still worthwhile, resulting in a slug of new
products coming to market, and before Global began producing patties
for more than a few local beekeepers, we tried fall feeding and even
left any left-over supplement on the top bars over winter.  It kept well,
and was consumed in late winter and early spring when the bees
came back up to the top of the hive.

We were never able to see any benefit -- or harm -- from fall feeding
here in Alberta, and therefore discontinued fall feeding, but California
research has shown definite benefit in making an early start in their climate
when planning on almond pollination.

I suspect the benefit depends a lot on local factors and on any specific
beekeeper's management style and goals.  For us, it gave an extra
frame or two of brood into the fall, but there was no appreciable
change in mortality of colony size in spring.  This meant that, for us, it
was a waste of time, labour, and money.

FWIW, a decade and more later, we are still using the same, simple, standard
formula from Global with good results, but only in spring and summer.

As a matter of interest, I might mention that Global has recently decided
to add Joe Latshaw's vitamin, mineral and lipids supplement to their basic
formula and totheir pollen patties since it is designed to enhance such diets.

Will it make any difference?  I don't know.  Maybe someone will run some
comparisons, but in my experience most such comparisons have been
inconclusive and dependant on local conditions.