From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:28:51 -0700
Re Russian bees:

Thanks for your post, Charlie.

I've been compiling mechanisms that they use for varroa control.  Here are
some:

Strong varroa sensitive hygiene
Shut down brood rearing when no flow
Groom off mites fervently
Seriochemicals in combs that inhibit mite reproduction
Small winter cluster rids itself of mites
Less robbing, so less mite immigration
Foragers “lose” mites, or don't return
Naturally supersede queens
Swarm more often

Note that they use a variety of mechanisms, rather than just VSH.
Note also that I haven't heard whether they exhibit shorter worker
postcapping duration.

Allen, as far as your question as to whether varroa resistance traits need
to be imported, the experiences in various parts of the world indicate that
they already exist in many populations, but just need to be either selected
for or upregulated.  However, importation can certainly speed up the
process.  I'm heartened by Tom and Suki Glenn's maps of where they have sent
Russian and VSH breeders to.

Randy Oliver