From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2014 19:00:19 -0700
>So what "higher standard" do you hold environmentalists to?

To do our homework; to stick to the facts; to avoid spin.

> >There are scientists who are also environmentalists, and then there are
> just environmentalists...people who love nature and want to stop
> thoughtless or greedy destruction of the web of life around us.  Each
> clamors to be heard.  What is the difference between them?

Some have done their homework, and back up their arguments with actual
evidence.

> > If they didn't support their point of view with data, well, then their
> view is just an opinion.

Exactly!

> >I submit that the definition of a "higher standard" is one that a) uses
> the results of the scientific method (above) to support the position, b)
> lacks bias, and c) is open to new input that might alter that position.

I'm in complete agreement : )

And as a member of the Sierra Club and Nature Conservancy, I forward such
information to those wanting to help pollinators (although some may already
have their minds made up).

Following up on Charlie's comments about corporations, I was recently hired
for a consulting gig by an independent testing lab (not a pesticide
company) gearing up for performing the new tests that the EPA will be
requiring to test products for safety to pollinators.  When I asked about
whether the companies put pressure on them for products to test "harmless,"
they said that thought was ridiculous.  What company would want to invest
millions on developing a product that showed any signs in initial tests
that it would later cause problems?  The pesticide companies want to know
from the start, so they don't waste money on additional development.  No
company wants to develop a product that will later be found to harm honey
bees.

That's not to say that some products are indeed later found to do so.  At
that point, getting a return on investment would likely motivate the
company's PR division to put a pretty face on it.  But they can only go so
far, for if they are caught in a lie, that would give fodder to those who
want to demonize them.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA