From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:55:54 -0500
>You hit the nail on the head here and there is the crux of the debate.

I think the debate that I have entered into is a bit different than
what you outlined. I think that some people think that they can solve
problems by working in isolation and scoffing at what others have
spent a lifetime discovering. The most these people can ever achieve
is to develop a system that may work for them, but most likely will
not be exportable (not without them going along with it as
consultants).

On the other hand, there are those who are trying to find solutions
that will work for everyone. The effort to find hygienic or disease
resistant bees does not lead to specialized bees which require
coddling. This effort seeks a more vigorous bee that will work
everywhere from Russia to Louisiana, from Maine to Macedonia. Because
most of the same problems exist in all these areas: mites, bacteria,
and the need to have bees that pay their own way.

There are plenty of examples of cooperation in the world, where
people stop thinking about me and start thinking about us. The New
Zealand AFB plan is a good example of it. No doubt there were
dissenters, doubters, but they managed to come up with a national
plan. I doubt if we will ever have a national plan for the health of
honey bees in this country. We don't even have a national health plan
for people.

--
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>