From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2012 10:23:26 -0500
<If bees need water, then a nonabsorbent insulation would direct  the water
to the side of the cluster, as pointed out by Allen.  Still  accessible to
the bees, but no longer dripping or freezing above  them.>

In Montana and much of the northern states, back before the overwintering
trials at the Wisconsin lab - and yes, there used to be one there - many
packed  with hay or straw.

Most of us abandoned that practice decades ago.  We tend to get  warm
Chinook winds in January, effectively causing a thaw.  Then,  typically, we go
subzero again in February.  The hay/straw ensures that the  hive is
encapsulated in a block of ice.

Stopping winds that pull any warmth out of the hive, and compensating for
our overcast, often foggy winter months in the mountains of western MT; we
have  always found that anything that blocks the wind is the first priority -
close  down entrances, make everything tight, maybe use a row of trees,
building, to  block wind.  And an open screen bottom will make absolutely sure
the   bees die in Feb.

We also pull the hives together in back to back rows (so they still  all
have access to an entrance/exit) - our infra-red imaging shows  that adjacent
colonies  tend to shift cluster position to 'share' the  warmth with their
neighbors.

Depending on our experiments and need to access, we either leave it at
that, or wrap.  If we had a big warehouse, I'd probably go with the
off-the-shelf boxes or quilts.  But space at the university is a premium,  so we
simply wrap the whole block of hives with black roofing felt.   Cut a small hole
lined up with the entrance space, and a hole near the top  (we either use
an inner cover or an auger hole to provide a top entrance).   Its not so much
for ventilation as a safety so bees can fly on warm days, even  if the snow
is drifted high.

Our winters in western MT aren't so cold as to need the pillow.  Also,  Ed
Southwick in his experiments took whole colonies down to minus 80 C and kept
 them there for at least two days.  As long as the hives had good honey
stores and a reasonable bee population size, they came out fine.  Their  food
consumption and energy needs went through the roof, but as long as they
didn't run out of their  energy source, they could survive.

Thus, I'm convinced its hard to kill bees with cold - if you've good stores
 and strong wintering populations.  Just need to give them a bit of help to
 ensure they can control the environment inside the hive.

Finally, I don't like hard plastic hives in our  climate - in the  spring,
water sheets down the sides and RH goes out of control.  Years ago,  a small
scale beekeeper friend tried to save money using recycled sheets of
particle board - it didn't breathe, and he had same problem with  moisture.  Also,
the glue was not moisture resistant, so it all swelled and  began to
disintegrate.

Jerry