From:
Joe Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2014 08:44:14 -0400
Thanks to all for info on queen cell ruggedness. When I get a shipment from Miksa in Florida they always hatch within 24 hrs of arrival and they seem to be fairly rugged, withstanding the rigors of UPS overnight air and being transferred thru the UPS aerial hub in Louisville Kentucky. When I make my own cells I am careful to follow Alley's warnings for gentle handling, but there are times I would like to transfer newly made up mating nucs to different mating yards.  I know the right thing to do is to wait until the cells are mature, by leaving them in the finishing hive or my incubator, but sometimes I just am caught in a crunch for time and location. Or I am in a bind to urgently make nuc splits using discovered swarm cells.

So my original question was not a totally innocent one. I want to come clean here. A few days ago I got into a double stack nuc that had 8 or so nice queen cells, almost complete, larva 3 to 5 days old, and since I already had plenty of queen cells at first I thought I would cut them out and use the rest of the capped brood to move up above an excluder, to use in a few days for another split. I was in a hurry. So I slammed each frame down in an empty nuc super over the bottom nuc box to shake off all the bees (as I did not want to put the queen up above inadvertently). Then I changed my mind and thought maybe I would save some of the frames with queen cells to make up some more mating nucs.  I realized my mistake, but it was too late. The next day some of the queen cells had been torn down, so now I am watching the others, as a less than scientific experiment to see which if any survive (Randy forgive me for having no independent variables or more careful recording of observations!). I will try to report back in a few days.  Anyone have similar experiences? Kind regards, Joe