From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2015 06:49:21 -0800

> >would the survivors carry the Type B virus?

That's the big question, Juanse.

What we need to now do is to screen colonies for DWV type in order to find
out.  I was in correspondence this morning with a commercial operator in
the U.S. who has not treated for varroa for 8 years.  I'd like to find out
whether his selected survivor stock carries the benign strain.

The thing that I have yet to understand is if the benign strain can
suppress the virulent strain, why does the virulent strain continue to be
so prevalent?  Is it because of our management practices?

We still have much to learn about the practical application of this
finding.  The first step is going to be the screening of colonies to see
whether the apparent suppression of the virulent strain in "survivor"
colonies is consistent.

So many findings that look promising initially, eventually prove to be of
little value.  This finding is very exciting, but we should all hold our
breaths until we get a good round of data collected.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA