From:
Christopher Sauer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 08:46:56 -0500
I've split a couple of my hives and am interested in more information
than I can find in the bee books about the process of splitting.  I took
three frames of brood with covering bees and a couple of frames of honey
and pollen from a strong hive and put them in a new box last night.
This morning I put the queen (in cage) into the box.  I'd appreciate any
criticism/advice about doing the split in this way.

My question is:  Do nurse bees get promoted to foragers when there are
no foragers available in the new split?  Which bees are responsible for
going to the feeder (division feeder) and the stored honey?

Thanks for the input!

Chris Sauer, NE Iowa
30 hives