From:
Chris Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 13:53:51 +1000
>>Some one else said <snip> could also filter messages by sender's name.
>Please explain filter messages. What benefit can I get from this

Filtering is a very handy feature.  Any good e-mail package should have it
but may use a different term for it.

I use Eudora-Pro so I will describe it as used by that package.

All e-mail is stored in a "mail box".  Essentially a mail box is a list of
e-mail messages which displays who sent (or received) the e-mail, when it
was sent and its subject header (and other useful information).  Users will
use this list to select an e-mail message for processing.

By default there are 3 Mail boxes, "In" e-mail received, "Out" for e-mail
sent, and trash for e-mail deleted (you can restore them from here before it
is too late)

Users can create additional mail boxes and transfer e-mail messages to the
mail boxes.
Typically, you might do this to segregate e-mail from a variety of sources eg
1) friends & relations
2) colleagues at work
3) mailing lists etc

You could read each message as it comes in, and then manually transfer it to
the appropriate mail boxes.  However many people believe this method to be a
pain in the fundamental orifice.

To make life simple I can create a filter and let the email package transfer
the messages for me as soon as they arrive.

In my case, I created the mail box "BEE-L" and a filter that will transfer
all incoming messages to that mail box if it addressed to: BEE-L
<[log in to unmask]>  None of the e-mail from this list is addressed to
me directly.  It is all addressed To: "Multiple recipients of list BEE-L

I could also filter messages by its
1) author's name
2) subject
3) a particular text in the main body
4) combination of the above.

If you subscribe to other lists as well as this one then filtering will be a
very useful tool to have.  If you e-mail cannot do it the don't waste time
and get one that does.  Any self respecting e-mail package should have it.
Many of them are free ware/share ware.

If you don't know where to find, one ask your ISP or use your favorite
search engine on the WWW.
Regards

Chris Allen