From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 15:38:06 -0500
On  1 Mar 97 at 1:24, Worker Bee wrote: [Fwd: Spring Build up]

> room to grow. The hive with a store bought queen(96 to replace a swarm
> queen that was not mated) had several uncapped queen cells up high on
> the combs. I'm not sure why, but I'll keep an eye on them. There was one
> funny looking capped cell that was larger than a drone cell but not
> nearly large enough for a queen cell. I broke it open. I also found a
> very large number of newly built drone cells in the shallow super where
> last year they were worker cells.

An almost text book description of superscedure. Lets deal point by point.
Cells high up on the comb, superscedure cells.
Funny looking cell, possibly an under fed queen, it wouldn't be allowed to
progress too far.
A large number of drone cells might point out the reason for the
superscedure, running out of semen. Poor mating!! Suggest the store bought
wasn't from a reliable source, or reputable breeder.

> I have a peach tree in full bloom and have not seen a single honey bee
> on a bloom and I have 3 hived not 200 feet from it. Last year, my bees
> did not work the blueberries.

This is always a bummer!! My neighbor has a black cherry tree close to my
apples. If the cherry blossom hangs too long my apples don't get
pollinated as well as I would like, as the cherry comes out first in our
area.
        Who has the word for bees sticking to one flower instaed of moving
around?

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks