Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 10:02:14 -0400

> For example, the bees in the Arnot Forest live high up, spaced widely
> apart, and there may be other environmental conditions that promote their
> survival. None of these factors are heritable.

If I recall Seeley's conclusions correctly, distance was the factor for
survival. Varroa "resistance"  was couched in  a "vertical" instead of
"horizontal" (i got a bit lost here) relationship between the bees and
Varroa. With distance you could have the vertical relationship, but bring
in outsiders and you got the horizontal relationship and all bets were off.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine