From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 07:08:01 -0600
> Does the sugar have to be powdered as opposed to simply granulated to
> achieve successful mite dislodgement?

That is a good question.  I understand that the technique requires a very fine
dust to work, so think granulated sugar would not be what is intended, unless it
is powdered by further grinding -- as with a mortar and pestle.

Given that the meanings and uses of words varies around the world and even from
district to district, I wonder what the original writer meant by 'powdered
sugar'.

I took it to mean what we call icing sugar, and what I believe is some places
called 'confectioners sugar', but maybe my assumption is incorrect.  Maybe they
actually powdered sugar with a hammer or grinder.

Perhaps I'll write and ask.

allen
---
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/
Package bees, winter loss, fondant, Pierco vs. Permadent vs. dark comb,
unwrapping, splitting, raising queens, AFB, varroa, protein patties, moving
bees, pollination experiences, daily mumblings and more... Thousands served...