From:
Malcolm Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:58:59 +0000
Rodney B Palmer asked:

> ... we require the SPECIFIC HEAT CONTENT of beeswax at constant preasure.
> The temperature increase we are looking at is from ambient to approximately
> 70 degrees Celsius.

I can't find a figure for beeswax but Kaye & Laby gives the following
figures for paraffin wax and various oils.  Temperatures in degrees C
and specific heats in J g^-1 C^-1.

Substance       Temp.   Sp. Ht.

Paraffin wax    0-20    2.9
Oil, castor     20      2.13
Oil, linseed    20      1.84
Oil, olive      7       1.97
Oil, paraffin   20-60   2.13-2.26
Oil, rape       20      2.04
Oil, sperm      20      2.06

I should think it's a fairly good bet that the specific heat of beeswax
lies somewhere around 2 when liquid and 3 when solid.  I assume you'll
also need to take account of the latent heat absorbed when it melts but
I can't help you with that except that it's likely to be quite
significant.  It seems to me that some experiments are in order.

--
Malcolm Roe                                Phone  :  +44 1442 345104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd                  Fax    :  +44 1442 343000