From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 06:31:06 -0600
> There was a lot of discussion on BEE-L starting around this
> time last year
> about spring vs fall splits.  Last year I was in the spring
> only camp, but
> after some success with fall splits last year I can be found
> more often hob
> nobbing at the fall split campfire.

The question is what level of risk can you accept, and where do you
live.  We've  had great success with late splits one year, only to
suffer severe losses the next.  I read somewhere (Speedy?) over the last
year about some research that showed that the later a new queen is
established, the later the production of 'winter bees' starts.  Anyone
remember where it was?

It has become obvious to me over many years that what works well one
year may be a dismal failure the next, or the next.  We learned that we
have to go with techniques that provide steady, reliable results over
time, rather than those that give spectcular increase one year and
spectacular losses the next.  It's much like investing.  Losing your
investment is not wise.  Better for most to take lower -- but guaranteed
and steady -- returns from secure investments.

For us, splits made before the end of July are reliable and do as well
as the other hives.  After that, it gets risky.  The reason is weather.
Some years we have snow or frost on the 20th of August, others are open
until October.  We have no certain way of knowing in advance.  Early
frosts reduce foraging opportunities for the new hive and hamper buildup
and preparation for winter.  In such years we risk losing not only the
splits, but also parent hives.  The loss of so many hives is sad, but
the resulting cleanup and recovery is also a real burden.

We'll stick with spring splits, and go about a month into summer.

allen