From:
Peter Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 10:58:16 +0000
        I recently conducted a survey for the Scottish Beekeepers Association
(issue of October 1995) which reported on various aspects of members
experience including the age structure of the membership and the age of
new recruits. Beekeeping, at least in Scotland, seems to be very much an
activity of the over 50's!!

I wonder if this is universal? I have tried to impress on my national
body the need to embark on programmes which will attract more young
beekeepers and especially schoolchildren. I learnt my own beekeeping at
my very enlightened local grammar school, where in my time at the school
some 20 plus boys passed the preliminary exam of the BBKA and were then
rewarded with a hive of bees donated by a local commercial beekeeper.
This seems to me exactly the kind of scheme which should be promoted
thrue local associations together with encouragement to hold meetings
directed at those who know nothing about bees and beekeeping.

I wpuld be interested to hear from others about relevant experiences in
promoting beekeeping in schools and to children.Please send your
comments directly to me. [log in to unmask]
Many thanks, Peter Wright