From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:00:22 -0600
> I am planning to make splits. To keep the  flying bees, splits should be
> taken away at least 6 km.
> Question- when can I bring these splits back? Will the old flying bees loose
> their memory for old hives?

The topic is much more complex than it might appear on the surface.  There is a
wealth of discussion on this topic in the archives, although it might not be too
easy to find in a search. I have written extensively about this here and on my
web site (below) under the topic of Spring Management, but will summarise a bit
here:

I notice the assumption that the splits must be taken away.  This is definitely
not necessary, but --  depending on your circumstances and time of year -- the
best solution may vary.

* If the bees are not flying (no flow, cool weather for days), then moving is
not necessary.  The bees will orient when they first fly.

* Or if they are flying the two splits can be put close together side-by-side on
the old site and the bees will divide between them.  If one is getting too many
flying bees, a little moving of the hives will result in the desired split.

* Or, under any conditions, the splits can be put in a *totally* dark basement
or garage for two or three days then placed anywhere you like.

There are many more clever ways to do these things, but so little time...

allen

http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/