From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:18:00 -0600
Well, I guess it's time to weigh in here.  I haven't been just lurking.
I've been busy.  I have bees coming out the ying yang as they say.

Hardly any winter losses (so far) and the beautiful Australian packages
that I ordered when I was not so sure of the outcome arriving yesterday
and all the new hired help being helpless has kept me running.

Not only that, the changes in BEE-L resulted in [log in to unmask]
not recognizing my email address.  When I reported that to my ISP they
screwed up Best of Bee too -- in their efforts to find the problem.

Anyhow, these things too,  as they say in the Book, will pass.  On to more
important THINGs.

> I want to know what other bee people think, matters little to me if they
> make it in a personal attack on me or mis quote, mis spell or mis
> interpret what the original thought was. Sad to see any more political
> correctness imposed on beekeepers for any reason, especially so for a
> list that ordinates in the USA...be it so it also is a duplication of
> what Allen is doing for those who don't want for whatever reason to sift
> the chaff from the grain.

Andy, I'm with you and so is Aaron.  Believe me, Aaron is getting a bum
rap here.  Aaron has been dragged kicking and screaming to institute some
limits on the junk that gets into BEE-L.  I don't believe for a minute
that he will ever be a censor.  He's simply not made for it.  Moreover
when this whole thing unwinds, there will be a number of diverse people
who have to approve posts and if you don't watch out -- you *will* be one
:)  And believe me it is dam hard work reading *every* post on BEE-L day
in and day out, rain or shine, home or away. ...And responding in some
way.

> I know it bothers some that I write to much or to long, for this I
> apologize to all, but what I have to say I have never learned how to be
> any other way then what I am. I also know how some are much bothered by
> errors in posting to the list. I look at it as part of the growing
> process of individual posters and want to see nothing done that would
> prevent anyone from making those early posts even if it means having
> posts in error.. Life is not all that un cluttered and why should this
> list be any different.

It's the binaries and the
> quote
> quote
> quote
> quote
> quote
> quote
 meeetoooo (duh)

and minor s*** like that that will be sifted, *not* your epistles (they
will be the very last to go) -- or anyone elses.  Personally, I am for
leaving out the (provincial) US politics and other trivia. but I am sure
someone else would pass it through...

I can live with that.  Just as long as stories about calves and bees get
through. Just kidding.

> Posters and readers do come and go on this or any list. Maybe they don't
> find what they are looking for, more times then not if they would take
> the time to post to the list themselves they would find out better what
> others are interested in and maybe even some with common interests. But
> that's the way it is, any list, echo, or news group is going to have a
> high percentage of "readers" and they will drop in and out at will. If
> everyone who reads this list were to post on any one subject the list
> would crash from the shock of the overload, and it has with a lot fewer
> posters in the past.

We're working on that.  The idea is to be able to keep a larger
membership.  This list has peaked out (piqued out) at about 800 and those
are not all real memberships (I have two). How many people actually read
the list?.

Not all the subscribers; we know that because we talk about something and
the next week someone who has been subscribed since the turn of the
current century asks the same thing over again.  What we learn from that
is that the list is filtered into a folder on many computers and is never
read.  (I know because I belong to several lists I read once a year.  In
the meantime email piles up in a folder I never open).  How many BEE-L
members are doing that?  Many, I guess.

Hopefully, if the garbage (not opinion and personality) is (r)ejected,
people may actually read and understand BEE-L.

> I appreciate the job of list owner and you have been a good one and I
> believe what ever you do as for as trying to moderate this list will also
> be done well, but even the re mailing or mail back of posts which are
> thought to have been posted  in error is an open door to censorship.

*Everything* is an open door to censorship. I guess you have to trust
someone sometime.  It's not like you have no alternatives.  Anyone can
start a list.  I did.  You can start one for nettiquette dropouts and
flunkees who like bees if you like.  I'll be the first subscriber.

Anyhow.  Let's give this a chance.  And if you are offended by the
purity of original thought and the freedom from binaries and If you object
loud and long enough, about this you will get to be a moderator.  Maybe
The Moderator. FWIW,  I think you'd be good one.

> I believe it is much better to do these things in the open even if it
> does add to the bulk of the mail as it also lets all of us see what is
> expected of us so we do not make the same errors. None of us know it
> all, yet. Hope this was not too long. But if you are calling for a vote I
> vote NO censorship no matter how it is labeled.

No voting here!!!  What do you think this is!!!!  A democracy or
something?  <G>

(Surplus !!!!'s courtesy DE who has not used his monthly quota)
.
Censored censored censored :)

Allen