From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:35:10 -0700
--- Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ...Bees have "flower fidelity."
> That is, they stay with whatever they have a working
> relationship with. A new source may be ignored until
> the old one dries up.

Dick,
Intresting!  I'm not doubting you, but has any one
else on the list observed this behavior?

It kinda goes against Seeley's research:

"Seeley was able to show that when a colony was faced
with two different sources of nectar, it consistently
focused on the source with the highest profitability -
profitability is defined as a function of nectar
sweetness, accessibility, abundance and distance from
the hive. Furthermore, if the nectar sources changed
profitability, the colony changed its focus."

http://www.beekeeping.com/articles/us/control_models.htm

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
Small Cell Beekeeping
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'