From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 08:26:42 -0400
Ron questions whether those of us who collect pollen are being greedy and
depriving our bees of to much of their natural sustenance.  This is not an
uncommon thought, or statement, but AFAIK demonstrates a lack of
understanding of how bees collect and horde pollen.

The following information is based on documentation in Dr. Tom Seeley's
wonderful book, *The Wisdom of the Hive.*

1.  At any one time, approximately 20% of the bees in a hive are 'doing
nothing'.  Seemingly, sitting around waiting for something to happen.  More
practically (perhaps) being held in reserve in case they are needed.
2.  Honeybees collect pollen and nectar on the same trip.  Often from the
same flower.
3.  Honeybees can somehow calculate the amount of stored pollen in a hive.
When the pollen collected is equal to approximately 15% of cells available,
they stop collecting pollen, even if it is readily available from the nectar
sources they are visiting.  In this regard, they treat pollen different from
nectar.  Honeybees will collect nectar until they run out of space, thus the
enormous excess that we harvest as honey.

We estimate that our Sundance traps collect about 60% of the pollen being
brought in.  It could be 40%, or it could be 70%.  I am reasonably sure it
is not 30% or 80%.  Some indices are:
1.  With traps on, our hives accumulate enormous numbers of frames plugged
with pollen.  This is during Goldenrod season, but I understand the same is
true during almond pollination.
2.  If one observes bees going through the stripping screens they will see
that the bees somehow learn to go through 'sideways', and only lose the
pollen from one basket.  Likewise, if one watches bees inside a hive
containing a pollen trap one will see plenty of bees with a full pollen
basket on one leg and ample amounts of pollen on its body hairs.
3.  Some researchers want to prevent *any* pollen from entering a hive.
(Presumably, they supply protein from other sources.)  These have complained
that our escape cones allow too many bees to enter the hive with full pollen
loads.  One said he estimated that 20% of the bees entered the brood nest
via the escape cones!

In summary, by collecting pollen we are no more harming the bees than we are
by collecting honey!  Everything in moderation.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.