From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:15:05 -0500
I like the subject, bee-l is "bad"... Some truth there.

I was going to write a short note on now that we are back together,
could we please get back to what this list was all about in the
beginning, "informed discussion". But before I did so, I decided to g
back to the Bee-L guidelines and re-read them. Well, it is all there, to
quote-

"Furthermore, submissions must be "Informed"!  BEE-L is not intended to
be a substitute for beginning texts on keeping bees."

"Submissions  to BEE-L should not contain misinformation.    Although
slow to admit it, the moderators do not know it all.  However, blatant
misinformation is rejected without notice.  Realizing there is a fine
line between new, thought  provoking  ideas and misinformation the
moderators strive for leniency in their judgment and prefer to err on
the side of thought provoking ideas.  Reader beware that if you read it
here it ain't necessarily so!"

I do enjoy Peter's posts that cite and quote chapter and verse from the
literature. It is corrects a lot of the misinformation that gets posted
here. Others also contribute their hopes-for-sanity corrections to the
misinformation.

It would be nice if we tried to keep facts facts and say "I believe" or
"I guess" when there are none. I realize that our memories can be off,
so there will be problems.

I like the hypothesis (guesses) about certain subjects, like CCD which
is still in the amorphous stage, because it does often lead to some good
science. For example, the discussion on pesticide involvement with CCD
has shown that it is only a tenuous connection as a root cause (IMHO)
but still may be one of possibly many factors.

I am happy that Aaron brought back the bee-l since it still is the most
rational and informed source of beekeeping information on the internet.
But I do not blame him at all if tomorrow he decided that "enough is
enough" and shut it down. Personally, I believe that he will keep it
going as long as we occasionally re-read the guidelines and try to
adhere to them.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine