From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:11:35 -0400
On 2-Jun-10, at 9:40 AM, Grant Gillard wrote:

>   What are almonds?  Two hives per acre?  I
>
> I don't have a better analogy, but calling the almond pollination a
> feedlot doesn't really fit.  If a bee will fly two miles (I don't
> have a reliable source for this statistic) that hive will cover
> over 8,000 acres of potential pollination.  How many hives does it
> take to be 'crammed" into that 8,000 acre location?  Hardly a feedlot.

Hi Grant and all

I've not seen the almond farms .  You imply that the beekeeper drops
2 hives per acre.  I would doubt that the beekeeper would make 1000
drops on a 1000 acre farm.  More likely 20 drops of 100(still a
crowd).  Please correct me if I'm wrong(Bob Randy others?)  Then
there are the holding yards with many thousands of hives before and
after the bloom.  Sounds like a hog barn to me

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W

Getting more than our share of sunny 30C days,  hives busting at the
seams