Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 12:57:37 -0400
>>.all the other hives were moved away removing the competition pressure!

> Could be a reason for the hives improvement.

Another reason could be the time when the other hives were removed.  If they
were removed and left bees behind, that can really boost the dinks left
either as too useless to take along, or deliberately as catch hives.

We used that effect deliberately when moving to pollination.  We picked up
in  evening while we could still see well, and some of the returning
foragers remained behind. We supered those hives up, and when we returned
after pollination, they were usually full.

Losing a few bees off the loading hives at dusk had little effect on the
pollination, since it was days before it got going in ernest.  Those bees
left behind sure did boost the hives left behind, though.