From:
James McDaniel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:08:24 -0600
> Did not post where I live, but I'm in North Alabama.

I do not like re-queening myself, but I catch a lot of flak from some in
the area and just needed some back up info I can defend my reason to not
re-queen.
I raised some queens the past 2 years and they are doing great. I replaced
a few queens, but I took the old queens and put into a small 5 frame nuk
with just 2 frames pulled out and 3 new frames. By fall last year, they
were all 2 deep box hives. I did feed them some at first and during the
summer. I had some swarm, but to me, that is nature and we just deal with
that. This is why I wonder if what we think we see in the spring as a
failing queen may not be at all. Just because she has a small brood pattern
at the time, this may be due to nectar and pollen coming in that early, not
that she is failing.
Had a lot of hobbies in the past, but beekeeping to me is the most
rewarding.