From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 11:11:41 -0400
I meant to include this in the previous post. Hard to keep track of all this stuff.

Our study also addresses the question of whether honey
bee workers within a colony replace their queen if she is of
low reproductive quality. If queen reproductive quality is
indeed related to the likelihood of supersedure, we would
have expected significantly higher rates of supersedure in
colonies headed by low-quality queens (i.e., those queens
developed from older worker larvae). However, despite its
observed positive effect on some parameters of colony
growth, we did not observe a significant effect of queen
reproductive quality on queen supersedure. Evidently, a
colony headed by a low-quality queen is not more likely to
replace the queen based solely on her reproductive potential.

Rangel, J., Keller, J. J., & Tarpy, D. R. (2013). The effects of honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) queen reproductive potential on colony growth. Insectes sociaux, 60(1), 65-73.