From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:11:37 -0400
Now that the dust has settled a bit, I wish to make it clear that I am
not an apologist for Bayer or Big Ag. My point of view in all of this
has been that keeping bees in agricultural areas is fraught with
peril, that beekeepers need to be responsible. You can't expect
growers to change their procedures based on suspicions and hunches. A
solid case has to be made, and the abuse of pesticides BY beekeepers
has to be thoroughly considered, before going after the other guy.

There is plenty of evidence that pesticides, including neonics, harm
bees. Beekeepers have been hit hard by insecticides since forever.
This is nothing new. What is new is the difficulty in showing a direct
cause and relationship in field conditions. I mentioned a while back
that I thought it was foolish to keep bees around apple orchards after
the bloom period. I wouldn't want them there during the bloom either,
but there is a demand for it for which beekeepers are handsomely paid.

If you use your bees to pollinate, you must be on the alert for toxic
effects. One of the problems, however, is that these various studies
are pretty difficult reading for average person. You have to go
straight to the conclusions and then work back through their methods
to get a sense of what it "means" and whether they actually did what
they said they did, and proved anything at all. The following work
shows that bees do bring neonics in with apple pollen at very low
level, too low to kill them outright.

However, the quantities could produce harmful effects on the bees and
especially the developing larvae. Again, they point out that similar
problems occur with in-hive chemicals. Apoptosis or programmed cell
death is mentioned here. This is a mechanism where living creatures
rid themselves of damaged cells and dna. When the damage is
sufficient, individual cells "commit suicide" and are processed as
waste by the immune system. Low levels of pesticides are known to
trigger apoptosis.

 > Pesticides applied in the field are detectable in both pollen loads
and in bee bread from inside hives. Both forms of pollen represent the
protein sources for adult and the developmental stages of bees, large
amounts being consumed by nurse bees, and to a lesser extent by
larvae. It is evident, therefore that honey bees can be exposed to
lethal or sublethal doses of pesticides in their food, which can
consequently have an impact on their development or longevity. The
oral LD50 for adult honey bees of diazinon is 0.09 µg, LD50 of
thiacloprid is 17.32 µg.

 > The toxicological properties of insecticides and fungicides are
indicative of adverse effects on adult bees and also sublethal effects
at the tissue level causing morphological, histochemical and
cytochemical changes. For example, imidacloprid or coumaphos treatment
induced reduction the size of hypopharyngeal gland acinus and heat
shock protein localisation in cell nuclei and cytoplasm.

 > Coumaphos triggered an increased level of programmed cell death and
imidacloprid extended necrosis. In honey bee larvae exposed to
Amitraz, both necrotic and apoptotic cell death have been demonstrated
indicative of subclinical effects and increased mortality as indicated
in toxicological experiments conducted on bee brood and adult bees.

"Residues of Pesticides in Honeybee (Apis mellifera carnica) Bee Bread
and in Pollen Loads from Treated Apple Orchards"  by  Maja Ivana
Smodis Skerl, et al
Agricultural Institute of Slovenia, Ljubljana

Reviewed by
Peter Loring Borst
Ithaca, NY  USA
+42.347999, -76.495239