From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 07:39:25 -0000
Bill Truesdell wrote:

> ...so presenting a food source every year will certainly make
> them think they are on to a good thing.

Wasps nests are annual, so are we back to epigenetics?

> The traps compound the problem unless you increase
> their numbers to capture most all the pests.

Precisely the point that my supplier made to me - the traps must catch all
the scouts, then you rarely see wasps in the area.  It certainly worked this
year, but I cannot tell if this was because the traps worked well or whether
it was because it was a bad year for the wasps.

As to the economics, the traps are not cheap (retail around £20 - discounts
available for quantity) but losing queen rearing nucs and colonies that are
being built up for the next season can be very costly too.

Peter Edwards