From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 12:14:09 -0500
  REGARDING           RE>Botulism

Adrian Wenner wrote, quoting sources"
>Surveys of honeys from some other
> countries have shown no trace of the toxin, e.g., France (Colin et al.,
> 1986) and Norway (Hetland, 1986).<

To which Tom Elliot replied:
>there have been Costridium Botulinum spores found in some honey
>samples.<

Notice that we are comparing apple with oranges.  The pertinent point in this
whole discussion is that neither botulism toxin nor the Claustridium botulinum
organism is found in honey.  However, the *spores* may be present since they
are ubiquitous.  And given the right conditions, these spores may germinate
and reproduce.  Apparently among conditions permitting germination are the GI
tracts of certain  predisposed young infants.  And following such germination,
a nutrient rich medium would be perfect for the organism's multiplication and
subsequent excretion of the botulism toxin.

It is because of this that it is only prudent to post warnings about feeding
of honey to newborn infants.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA