From:
"James W. Hock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:41:48 EST
Over the last couple of days I've attended meeting from two Connecticut
beekeeping clubs, Connecticut Beekeepers and Backyard Beekeepers and here is what I
found.

We had a small break in the weather and club members who dared to peek in
their hives found heavy loses.  They had not been surprised as after battling
Varroa last year they knew their hives had been weak last fall.  These hives
crashed after being treated with Apistan, Checkmite and FGMO in a Burgess Insect
fogger.  One beekeeper told me he examined his dead bees and found the dead
Varroa mites still attached to them.

What was doubly discouraging was the losses among the "newbees", the first
time beekeepers as their hives are three years old or less.  One mentor could
only shake his head in disgust as he lost is hives along with his student.

All is not lost, however.  The few that invested in Russian queens are doing
well.  One sideliner is not only surviving with Italians, his business is
growing and thriving.  He says he owes his success to keeping his hives strong by
requeening in August. He installs his own hand raised queen cells, not bother
killing the old queen and claims 80% acceptance.  He thinks the break in the
brood cycle disrupts the mites.

Dr. Larry Conner spoke at both meetings.  He is carrying around and passing
out one piece "green" plastic drone frames.  We are to freeze and/or scrape out
the drone brood every 21 days into a "white" bucket.  Among his list of
suggested actions are:

        Increasing "good" drone production, to improve the genetics of
surrounding colonies in hopes to get some of those good genes back the when your
virgin queens go on mating flights. I didn't think to ask how I am going to
increasing drone production if I keep scraping the "green" frame into a "white"
bucket.  :)  He did say that some are intentionally killing good queens in the
fall so the superseding queen would remain a virgin and become a drone layer
early in the spring.

        Use the "green" drone frames and "white" bucket. Color seems
important. :)

        Invest in resistant, or survivor queens.

        Used screened bottom boards. Et al.

Both clubs suggest that everyone try their hand at queen rearing.  FGMO seems
a passing fad.  Several are going to give Florida's sugar treatments a try.
CT Beekeepers pot luck lunch was yummy!

Jim Hock
Wethersfield, CT.