Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:30:46 -0700
Bob, if you are going write for ABJ, I want to clarify a few things. When I say good bees I mean 9-12 frames average, 6 frames of brood. To get there, I put on three rounds of pollen sub, 6 pounds each.That's the same as putting on 18  (one pound) rounds that the bee suppliers sell (man lake, dadant ), so you get a good understanding of how much we push them in the winter. As far as the 50/50 syrup I spoke of, half fructose half sucrose. Some keepers are still feeding type 55 fructose, poor move going into winter, but it's cheaper.The moral of the story is, you get out what you put in them ( $$$ ).  Most beekeepers I've met want the $150 rental, but they are going to have to earn it. That doesn't mean field run bees or six frame averages.
Thanks for writing the up coming ABJ, I think alot of beekeepers need to know what's expected of them before they load up the wagons and head West.

  Keith
Jackson, CA