From:
Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:36:16 -0400
Keith Malone wrote:

>Keith Benson wrote;
>

>>Of course to adopt this simplistic position one must fail
>>to see that the disease causing organisms are part of
>>nature will always seek to maximize their reproductive
>>rates.
>>

>I see a simplistic position like Dee describes as a way for bees to maximize
>their reproductive rates if left to do it, but of course mankind has to help
>them, in my opinion, by putting the bees back on to a cell size that is
>closer to their natural cell size.

Some are under the impression that after you do that the mites will not
respond by developing new strategies.  There is a constant theme amongst
folk who gather round the "balance is everything" banner that the mites
have been with these populations forever and have suddenly gone haywire
beacuse if large cells.  The mites are relatively new in terms of the
developement of the host parastie interaction.  This is when host
parasite interactions take the greatest toll on the host population.
Being in balance with one's situation is always something to strive for
- the problem is that the point of balance is ellusive, changing with
changing environmental conditions, moment to moment, day to day, year to
year, and is not the panacea that some hope it is.  I don't care how
balanced you are some pathogens/parasites can take you out, regardless.
Keep in mind that the history of life on this planet is rife with new
host parasite interactions that did not rely on man's  meddling to bring
them about.

I will not argue that Mankind is responsible for some very terrible
damage to our ecosystems.  I work for an organization that is actively
involved in conservation efforts througout the world and am a card
carrying tree hugger.  But to suggest that it would be great if we were
all in balance is to missing much of a complex issue.

>Keith Benson wrote;
>

>>('cause that is what living things do) . . . and you know
>>where that leads.
>>

>Yes, prosperous honey bee colonies and parasites and diseases only as
>prolific as the bees will allow, this is balance.

Do you really think the paraasites and diseases are going to sit idly by
and allow this?  It is not a static situation.

Keith "romance, over a bottle of nice wine with a beloved companion is a
wonderful thing, but it has no palce in critical thinking" Benson