Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:31:53 -0700
I don't know how many are aware of this, but there are currently some
applications underway to patent  protein feeds for bees.  You can see some
of the material at (I made tinyurls in case they wrap)

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2009082659&IA=US2008087324&DISPLAY=STATUS
or
http://tinyurl.com/ycbplf8

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220090162482%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20090162482&RS=DN/20090162482
or
http://tinyurl.com/ycwt973

http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20090625ptan20090162482.php?type=description
or
http://tinyurl.com/yef9ptx

For those who are interested (and that should be everyone) the above links
are a start.  Keeners among us may dig a bit deeper and turn up more info.
Please share.

It appears to me that the applications attempt to encompass and patent
virtually all known common approaches and ingredients, and add very little,
if any new information.  Whether or not the patent offices will understand
that and reject the applications is a good question.

In my opinion, all of this is common knowledge and should not be patentable.
There are some recipes stated, and I don't know about that aspect, but the
other material is not unique or novel IMO.

If these patents are granted, they could definitely increase the cost of
feeding bees.

What is interesting is that AFAIK, much of the work to prepare these
applications was funded by the US taxpayer.

It will be interesting to see what others turn up and how many people
complain to the patent authorities.