Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:00:50 -0400
>The original definition of CCD, and the one that has to remain until
>someone can find the definitive cause (at which time, presence of the causal
>agent becomes the defining factor) was developed by the CCD Working group  and
>is still accessible on the MAAREC page.

Ok.  Perfect.  That is what I thought.

>The Wikipedia page about CCD is wrong, but any time I try to correct it,
>the guy who grabbed it in the first place, changes it back.

OK.  I recall that, too, and that is partly why I posted my question. (The
other reason being it is a slow day on BEE-L and if I can't get something going
I'll have to go back out and work on my bees).

Now, here is what they have on that MAAREC page if I have the right one:
http://maarec.psu.edu/ColonyCollapseDisorder.html

Is the the "stone tablets"?

--- quote ---

Colony Collapse Disorder

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) is the name that has been given to the latest, and what seems to be the most serious, die-off of honey bee colonies across the country. It is characterized by, sudden colony death with a lack of adult bees in/in front of the dead-outs. Honey and bee bread are usually present and there is often evidence of recent brood rearing. In some cases, the queen and a small number of survivor bees may be present in the brood nest. It is also characterized by delayed robbing and slower than normal invasion by common pests such as wax moth and small hive beetles.

--- end quote ---

No mention of the depopulation being quite rapid or other things suggested sometimes, although it mentions sudden death.  Does that mean that the colony does not have CCD unless it is dead?  (Sorry Dave).

I can undersatnd why Bob thinks it's a myth and a public relations exercise for justifying bee research budgets which had all but disappeared a few years ago, but are now, thanks to CCD, relatively ample.

(Actually I'll work my bees anyhow.  I'm one quarter way through preparing them for winter and getting lots done today.  Would you believe I'm wrapping already?.