From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2009 21:08:35 -0700
>And now it is on BEE-L for those who don't havve the time or inclination to
visit your pages -- or mine.

Wasn't trying to pimp my page.  Should have been clearer.  For those of you
who are interested in comparing this recipe to others, with analyses of
each, there is a webpage available for your viewing.

> >I sure get tired of all the hubub about protein content.  Protein content
> does not tell anything very much IMO.

I greatly respect your opinion, as you have delved into this subject deeply,
Allen.  However, in animal feeds in general, the number one denominator of
cost and value is generally protein content.

Of course, as you state, the protein must be "complete" for the species in
question.  deGroot's research indicates that a complete protein for bees
matches that for mammals (i.e., casein) closely.  So we can generally apply
what we know about suitable amino acid balances for humans to bees.

This only applies to the amino acids in protein.  For other factors, bees
are very different from humans.  For bees, ascorbic acid is not a vitamin,
but cholesterol is.  Salt (sodium chloride) is also toxic to them at levels
that humans would find tasty.

Ditto with your "friend's" cat food.  Protein is higher than dog food, which
is why it costs more.  But not sure about the high sodium, low potassium,
and ground corn.

>Because bees will eat anything if you add enough sugar.
>I don't know about cats.

Since you "asked," cats don't have taste buds for sugar.  Dogs do.  That's
why cats don't beg for sweets.

Randy Oliver