From:
"David. E. Goble" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 14:29:19 -0400
[snip]

>The comparison of bees and crabs is misleading.  Sure, they both are
>arthropods, but that is beside the point.  Crabs, lobsters, etc, are water
>dwellers, which breathe with gills.  Bees are not, and are equipped with
>spiracles leading to tracheal tubes which deliver air (oxygen) to each body
>cell directly, as Ann recognizes in her original post.  I think she had the
>right idea in the first place, that small bubbles of air were carried down
>into the fluid with the bee.
>
>Ted Fischer

Hi Ted, Alden and others;

        Crabs are in the phylum of Crustacea, and have 30,500 species of
these invertebrates.

        If crabs had gills when they dig into the sand their gills would be
covered by sand grains and suffocation would occur.

        The insect species from bees, flies, and mosquitoes are of the same
principle as the rest of the invertebrate class.

        The breathing systems are all the same, with slightly evolved
changes for each species.

        Fish and all other gill breathing animals are not in the
invertebrate class. As they are vertebrates.

Thanks from :
                 http://www.eastend.com.au/~goble
            [log in to unmask] ( David Goble )
           American Beach Kangaroo Island South Australia