Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:25:04 EDT
When I was around 5 or 6 years of age, my Grandfather ( in northern
Maryland)  taught me beekeeping with some Valentine Hives made in  Hagerstown, MD.
 One of the significant features of this hive was the super  was reversable
such that during the summer it could be turned one way for enough  room for
a "super" which in this case was a modified grapefruit  box.   In the
winter it was reversed such that the super fit down around the brood  chamber.
My Grandfather explained that nothing ever freezed under two  layers of
board.  He was right.

In a message dated 10/16/2009 5:16:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,