From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 05:33:39 -0400

> Only the relatively few colonies that have more than 30% of their bees infested
> are more likely to die than uninfested colonies - because of the slightly
> shortened lives of infested bees - and then only in late winter or early
> spring......"  Leslie Bailey 2002 , based on a lecture to the Central  Association
> of Beekeepers on 14th October 2000.

The observations that prompted the 10-15% are from what we have seen in
Maine, a colder and longer winter than GB or even Stockholm. The bees
are together much longer and much tighter. 20% seems to be the point
that there will be problems. It is not the mite by itself, it is the
virus. VM is another variable added to the mix which helps disease along
and is usually in the colony. TM is actually less likely to be there.

Most of the problems we have had in Maine this winter are VM related,
but TM has been a larger factor than a few years ago.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine