From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:16:15 -0800
I'll concur with Bob that bees sometimes actively work field corn
pollen and store in the comb, even though they generally prefer to
collect other pollens.

Also concur with longer pollen exposure due to staggered plantings.

> Show me the proof (like I have asked you for both on this list and
> another )that trace amounts of the neonics (which you admit to above) sub
> lethal are not harmful to my bees.

Bob, there is absolutely no way to "prove" that something is not
harmful.  One can only disprove that there is any observable harmful
effect at a certain dosage under certain conditions.  So please stop
asking for "proof."  One cannot even prove that oxygen is safe; in
fact, easy to prove that it is dangerous!

However, there is abundant research, by both pesticide companies and
independent researchers indicating that properly-applied neonics show
no observable harmful effects to bees or brood.  There is virtually no
data to the contrary.

Again, that does not necessarily give neonics a clean bill of health,
especially as they are often overapplied and misapplied, and some
landscape uses result in sky-high levels.  There need to be some label
changes, and it is my strong impression that the pesticide companies
are more than willing to do so.

There are also a paucity of what I would consider to be good long-term
field trials, which is why I am proposing a suggested protocol.

There certainly appear to be serious problems to bees in certain
agricultural areas, but the combination of beekeeper unwillingness to
report incidents or to pay for pesticide testing on samples results in
a lot of unfounded blaming and finger pointing.  It is only by the
collection of hard data that we are going to make any progress on
determining what factors are actually causing the problems.

Luckily, there are some very good researchers, such as Dr Bromenshenk,
and a number of others who don't post to the List, who are doing that
very thing!

Randy Oliver