From:
Brad Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:18:20 -0700
Hi all,

I'm not only new to this list Server, but I'm also new to beekeeping.  This is my first year and I have two hives.  One, which started as a 3 lb. package of Italians in April, is doing great, with a wonderfully active queen.  The other is a colony of Carniolans that I bought from a gentleman that had to move from the area.  Unfortunately, they started showing signs of wanting to swarm this spring, which I have learned is their nature with their big initial build-up in early spring.  I like this trait (the build-up, not the swarming LOL) but unfortunately I did what is now recommended not to do, I destroyed most of their queen cells as I found them.  A week ago I noticed that there was no new cells or larvae to be found, but a lot of capped brood left.  There was one nice long queen cell that had been chewed out of, though, and I figured that maybe a swarm had already issued, although the population still seemed strong, and that I now had a young virgin queen waiting to mate.  However, I checked again yesterday, a week later, and there are still no new eggs or larvae- or queen cells.  I searched and searched and saw nothing resembling a queen, which doesn't mean there isn't one, but there was no other signs of an active queen, as I stated above.  I believe I may have killed one or more queens in my bumbling efforts of 'hive inspection'.

My question is:  Being that it is now the beginning of June in Nebraska (and everywhere else, too, I would imagine) should I requeen with a commercially bred queen, which is what I plan on doing this Fall with both hives, or take a frame of eggs and larvae from the Italian hive and hope that the Carnolian hive will raise a queen from them to get me (them) through the summer until fall requeening.  I have heard that our nectar flow starts in mid June.  I realize this will give me two Italians hives by the end of summer.  Let me state that my number one goal is to just get them through the summer and coming winter and worry about honey next year with a better management plan in force.  I'm not worried about having any surplus honey.  Also, if I rqueen with a commercial queen now, should I still requeen in the Fall?  I'm thinking yes, but what are your experiences?

Thanks,

Brad