From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:42:12 +1000
Allen Dick wrote

> No price for individual hive sampling is presented above, but at $5 per
sample,
> which I suspect is a very conservative estimate for the cost of
collecting,
> collating, preparing and testing each sample,

The cost of the test in Queensland, Australia is A$16.50.  With the state of
our dollar, then it is cheap.

> Assuming that this test is useful in practice for someone such as myself,
> perhaps an apiary average sample would be the first step, followed by more
> detailed examination of any yard that shows signs of trouble.

That is the way it is often used in Australia.  I wrote a while back about
barrier systems.  A barrier system, yard testing and, of course, brood
inspection, will help you get on top of any AFB outbreak.

> That approach also has its problems, not the least of which is that there
is no
> definite correlation between sampled spore levels and subsequent outbreaks
or
> understanding of how 'subclinical' infection can result in increased spore
> counts. This is particularly true where an effective medication system is
being
> used.  The honey bee's tendency to rob honey over a distance also confuses
the
> matter as does the use of drugs and the genetics of the bees in question.

If you read the paper by Michael Hornitzky, he relates the correlation
between spore counts in the honey and the likelihood of finding clinical
signs.  However, you raise the problem of where medication is being fed.
This will cause a problem as you can get spores but not have clinical signs
as the medication is supressing the clinical signs.

> Unfortunately for real understanding of the AFB problem, and partly I
suspect
> due to its lack of rigour and the simplicity of its conclusion, the book
has
> wide appeal to beekeepers and regulators and has been hugely popular.
Like
> 'Lord of the Rings', has developed a cult following among those who
wishfully
> seek overly simple solutions to complex problems and to live in a world of
the
> past.

And I suspect it does not appeal to those who want to carry on in the same
way and not look at better ways of dealing with the issue.

> We need PREVENTION.

I agree but is the solution in medication?  North America may be on the
treadmill and not be able to get off but why should others, who are not on
the treadmill, have to get on.

> Proven compounds are currently available and in unapproved use by
beekeepers.

> We need approval for them.

Maybe as a short term solution but what of the long term?  What happens when
the feeding of medication is only able to be administered by a vet?  The
world is struggling with antibiotic resistance and I cannot see why we will
not be caught up in this saga.  Public sentiment is as such that it will
happen even if there is no scientific proof.

There is now resistance to present medication.  What is the solution?  Find
stronger ones?  What if they are not available?

I think that there needs to be a radical rethink of how AFB is handled.  If
a country is not on the medication treadmill, then why criticise it if it
does not want to go that way.  I believe it can handle AFB without
medication.

Look to the future.  You may still need to employ current methods in the
short term but will they still be available in the future?

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA