From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:26:31 -0700
At 12:13 PM 16/01/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Eric Abell wrote:
>> Ian,
>>
>> A few years ago I was instrumental in developing a styrofoam hive top
>> feeder.  Although it was subject to some damage in use, it is the fastest
>> feeder I have ever used.  It is much like a conventional hive top feeder in
>> which the bees come up the middle, over a wall, and down to access the
>> syrup.  Most hives would take a gallon a day using this method.
>
>Eric, is this styrofoam feeder available commercially? or could you reply
>with more details of its design?....That is quite a lot of syrup to be
>taken in a day and I would be interested in using this type of feeder.
>Thanks, Ian  :)

I am not sure if it is still produced.  I think not.  However, it was
produced by a plastics company in Edmonton, Alberta.

The feeder holds 4 imperial gallons of syrup.  Has marks on inside so that
syrup can be measured.  From the outside it looks like a shallow super on
top of the hive.  The bees are allowed up through a slot going entirely
accross the frames the width of the box.  They go over a  lip and down to
get to the syrup.  A wire screen keeps them from drowning.

The feeder is indeed fast to fill and fast for the bees to empty.  It works
well even in cool weather.  It does have some drawbacks however.
The bees chew it.  While not looking as nice they still work even after
having been chewed.  It requires a good lid.  If the bees are able to get at
the syrup by going under the lid they will often drown.

In any quantity I found the feeders difficult to transport.  They are so
light they blow all over and are not tough enough to tie down like supers.
An enclosed truck or tarps and lots of ropes will work.

If I was to run only a few hives I would likely use these exclusively.

I hope this helps.

Eric

Eric Abell
Gibbons, Alberta Canada