Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:41:06 -0600
Andy refers us to a web site that has information that verifies that a large
Canadian honey distributor (who has subsequently shut down operations) had
imported large amounts of honey from China and ship it to the U.S.

That was interesting reading.  I don't know what the laws are right now, but
I assume it's O.K. currently to sell honey from China in the United States
because of what I see in the stores here locally.  I make it a habit to look
up the "honey section" in the grocery stores I visit and look to see what they
have, where it is from and whatever is written on the labels.  In most of the
stores I visit, I see on the labels they say that the honey may be from China,
Canada, Argentina, or the U.S., or a blend of some or all.  These seem to come
from major U.S. honey packers and they say "China" right on the label.  If I
buy any, I always read the label first, then vote with my pocketbook.  My own
"personal label" honey keeps getting more and more valuable to me.  I may not
know everything that's IN my honey, but I do know what's NOT IN it.  It's quite
a market niche I enjoy.  Too bad I only have 5 hives.  Best wishes to all for
a wonderful holiday season.

Layne Westover
College Station, Texas, U.S.A.